Due to our stock manager leaving we are seeking a shepherd for Black Hill Station.
Black Hill Station is a family owned and operated 2700ha high country sheep and beef Station up the south side of the Rakaia Gorge in Canterbury, 1 ½ hours from Christchurch and 40 minutes to Methven.
Black Hill is currently running 2100 half bred ewes, 800 replacement hoggets, 3600 fine wool
winter hoggets, and 200 carry over cows. During the summer we have a lamb trading
operation running approximately 24,000 lambs from November through until March.
The successful applicant must have:
- Well trained working dogs
- Competence with tractors and machinery
- Sound fencing and general farm maintenance skills
- Excellent communication and be able to work within a team and individually
- Excellent attention to detail and record keeping
What we can offer you:
- Experience with both extensive and intensive farming
- The opportunity to step up as you progress
- A great remuneration package
- Plenty of dog work
- Various on farm accommodation options available
The successful applicant will be given the opportunity to take on responsibility. You will be part of a team comprising of the owners, another shepherd, machinery operator and one or two extra staff members over the summer trading season. Black Hill is nearing the completion of a major farm development programme with the focus now on production.
There is great hunting, fishing, skiing, mountain biking, rugby clubs, young farmers and plenty more around Methven and Mount Somers.
Due to border restrictions, we are only able to consider candidates currently residing in New
Zealand with full work eligibility. If you are a NZ citizen or resident returning home, please
be sure to include an explanatory note with your travel plans and timelines for being back in
Please get in touch with Duncan Ensor on 021855014 or email@example.com
Applications close on the 7th November 2021.