TeTuhi Station is a breeding and finishing property of sheep & cattle covering 1600ha consisting of two properties in the Ruakituri Valley. The property is predominantly steep hill country, with some large paddocks. Access is mostly via quad bike or horse.
This position is newly created and would suit a beginning shepherd or someone early in their career. Starting with a couple of dogs and a ‘can do’ attitude. We are looking for someone with loads of energy, passion for farming and enthusiasm for learning. The successful applicant will know how to work hard when there are jobs to be finished. This position is answerable to the Stock Manager and is partially found.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Day to day stock work- sheep & cattle - have at least 1 working dog with basic control and keen to train up additional (under supervision)
- Be responsible for caring for dogs
- Experience operating a quad bike preferable or willing to learn
- Being able to work alone and as part of a team.
- Willing to learn how to muster and handle sheep and cattle, learn to administer animal health treatments (drench, dipping etc), do fence repairs and general farm work, use a handpiece, basic knapsack spraying etc
Some previous experience in any of the above fields an advantage
- Some basic record keeping responsibilities
- Be able to communicate effectively
- Keep cottage & section area clean and tidy & equipment well looked after
- Must operate at all times under the Property health & safety policy
- Be of NZ residency
- Great opportunity to learn on a large-scale property, plenty of dog work
- Vet expenses & registration for dogs, electricity, power, firewood, phone land line and accommodation (fully furnished two-bedroom cottage) available. Evening meal most weeknights
- Opportunity for hunting- pigs & deer
- Local town Wairoa 35 mins away on all sealed road
- Friendly local community