An exciting position has become available as Block Manager of Big Ben Station, one of four properties owned by Coleridge Downs Ltd, located in Rakaia Gorge.
Coleridge Downs Ltd:
- Coleridge Downs Ltd is made up of four stations. Three of these stations are up the Rakaia Gorge; Dry Acheron, Big Ben and Coleridge Downs. Annavale is located near Springfield.
- A Board of Directors and a General Manager comprise the upper management of the business. Each station is run by a Block Manager, who reports to the General Manager.
- Run a prestigious cadet programme that operates between the three Rakaia Gorge properties. Four cadets per year are accepted into the 2 year programme; a total of eight cadets live on Big Ben Station.
- Other key staff in the business include four Block Managers, Fencer/General, Tractor Driver, Pastoral Care/Trainee Cadet Manager and a Station Cook.
Big Ben Station:
- Big Ben Station is 2,000 ha (effective), sheep and beef property comprising of ~1,400 ha of hill country and remainder rolling hill and flats.
- The flats are currently undergoing a significant irrigation development. 270 ha comprising of a combination of centre pivot and grid irrigation will be used for lamb and cattle finishing. This is being completed in 2 stages with the first stage (170 ha), operational this spring, and the second phase by summer.
- Currently running 5,500 ewes and 300 cattle including replacements with plans to finish an extra 700 cattle and 10,000 lambs.
- Big Ben Station is the hub of the wider Coleridge Downs business, the farm office, cadet quarters and station cooks home is on the property, as well as being the centre for all events and gatherings.
- We are looking for an all-rounder. Someone who takes pride in not only being an excellent farmer, but is also an excellent teacher, leader and team player. A minimum of 5 years farming experience is essential.
- This role involves the overall management and day-to-day running of Big Ben Station, including weekly and monthly reporting to the General Manager, feed budgeting, fertiliser plans, crop rotations, stock reconciliations and stock movements.
- You will need to work as part of a team, not only with the Block Managers and General Manager, but also with agronomists, fertiliser reps, and farm consultants.
- The irrigation development will be familiar to you and intensive management of finishing stock will be something you enjoy and strive to achieve excellence in, as well as management of the capital breeding stock on the hill.
- You will have a good team of dogs, and be interested in spending time with the cadets helping them bring on theirs.
- Living on the property with the cadets, as well as spending every day with at least two of them allocated in your care, you will be a passionate but patient leader and mentor – a short temper and a big ego are not attributes you possess. Problem solving and initiative around any matter relevant to 17 and 18 year olds (not just in the farming sense) would be very useful.
- You will have good communication and organisational skills – this is a large business and organising staff and the integration of the three Rakaia Gorge properties is a daily necessity. It is important you are tidy by nature and have good attention to detail.
- Change is a constant in this progressive enterprise and you will find it easy to adapt.
- You may have a tertiary education, or higher training in some field of agriculture, but if you do not, you will be enthusiastic about taking opportunities to better your skills and get involved with further professional development.
What we can offer you:
- An opportunity to work in an exceptional location, with a great group of people, AND an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the New Zealand agricultural sector by training and growing the next generation of keen young male and female shepherds.
- A warm and sunny four bedroom homestead.
- A competitive remuneration package.
- School bus stop at mail box.
- Access to a number of recreational activities; 15 minutes to the access road of Mount Hutt Ski Resort, hunting, fishing and multiple pristine lakes and rivers in your back yard.
- A great community; Windwhistle, the Rakaia Gorge, and the wider Methven region.
Applicants must have a full NZ driver’s license, and must have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
For further information please contact Tony Plunkett, General Manager 021 930 171.
Applications close Wednesday 30 June.