We are seeking a person to fill a stock manager role on our family's privately owned sheep, beef, and deer farm located on the Western Bays Lake Taupo. Our farming model is made up 30% sheep, 25% beef, and 45% deer.
The farm requiring a stock manager is a part of a wider farming operation for Motere Lands Ltd which in total runs approx. 31,000 SU over 2700 ha of land.
Motere Lands Ltd operates between Motere Station, Otaipuhi Station, and the Waihaha Vista. The manager would be required to predominantly work on Otaipuhi Station and the Waihaha Vista alongside other staff but from time to time assist at Motere Station when needed. Otaipuhi and the Vista is made up of approx. 400ha flat country, approx. 850 ha rolling, and approx. 400 ha of medium hill country all adding up to about 1650 ha total.
There is a variation of different paddock types on the farm from very flat 4 ha paddocks, ( ideal for fattening stock) to 15 ha hill paddocks with scrub ideal for set stocking hinds while fawning and even a few bush paddocks that neighbor onto the Pureora forest.
The size of the block this manager will look after is yet to be determined and does depend somewhat on the applicant and their capabilities. We will have one stock manager working on Otaipuhi and the other on The Vista . But will visit this situation at the time of the successful applicant starting the job. Between our existing stock manager and the newly appointed applicant we can determine appropriate boundaries for each staff member to manage and together they will be running about 19,000 SU over 1650 ha.
The ideal applicant will have the following attributes:
- The ability to determine feed quality and what stock class is best suited to be in what paddock at the right time of year to meet market demand and our farming programme.
- Plenty of on farm experience and ideally some experience with deer as the job will require a lot of time with deer. Otaipuhi has approximately 4800 deer total incl. breeding hinds, weaners, R2 Stags and hinds, and velvet stags.
- Good stock sense, knowledge of animal wellbeing, and passionate about animals.
- Honest, sensible, and able to be responsible for their own time.
- Strong communication skills.
- A good team player and enjoys working with people.
- We are likely to have students working on farm in future so able to show patience and help them develop their skill sets.
- The ability to look after fences and water systems
- Strong record keeping abilities
- Their own basic fencing tools and good working dogs.
- Have NZ Drivers Licence (essential).
- Have NZ residency or valid NZ work visa. (essential).
The job comes with
- An opportunity to work alongside good people.
- An opportunity to work on a farm with excellent infrastructure and good facilities which is always improving.
- A competitive salary.
- An insulated three-bedroom farm house is available. Newly laid carpet and lino, new heat pump. Double glazing to be installed in near future.
- Modern, well maintained vehicles/machinery.